I learned how to make Key Lime pie with a 3 ingredient filling when I first got married. I came about this simple recipe when I purchased a hanging plaque for my kitchen, with the recipe printed on it.
So every time I was craving Key Lime pie, I would just look at my hanging plaque recipe and follow the directions.
Back then, I would use a store bought graham cracker crust to make it even easier, but now I got the crust down to just how I like it.
Over the years I’ve made quite a few of these 3 ingredient filling key lime pies and it is absolutely one of my favorite spring and summer desserts. And while it’s not a guilt-free dessert, it sure is good.
If you do use Key Lime juice, it will be more tart and sour, so you may want to adjust the amount that you use.
Real limes make this recipe a bit more authentic, because you can use the lime peel for zest – either in the filling or as a garnish.
I like to add more crushed graham cracker crumbs and lime slices to the top and of course top it with some delicious whipped cream.
Regardless of what you like for a garnish, this 3 ingredient filling key lime pie is so easy to make, you will want to enjoy it again and again!
- For the Crust
- 1-1/2 Cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1/2 Cup of Walnuts or Pecans (pulverized in blender)
- 2 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons of Melted Butter
- For Pie Filling
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 - 14 oz. Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2/3 Cups Lime Juice
- Whipped cream, lime slices and extra graham cracker crumbs for garnish. (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix pie crust ingredients in a pie dish. Spread mixture with a fork and using your fingers, shape into a pie crust.
- Bake crust only for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven.
- Pour key lime pie 3 ingredient filling into the pie crust and return to oven.
- Bake pie for 15 minutes and cool.
- Garnish with graham cracker crumbs, whipped cream and lime slices.
One tip that I want to share is about pulverizing the nuts in a blender. If you’ve ever done this, then you know the nuts tend to stick to the bottom of the blender and are difficult to scrape out.
So what I do is put the nuts in the blender with about a teaspoon of graham cracker crumbs to keep them from sticking. I love how this works and I use this trick for other graham crust recipes too.
If you like bigger chunk of nuts in the crust, you can buy chopped nuts and use them right out of the package. Once the crust is ready, bake it for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees, before adding the Key Lime pie filling.
Remove the crust from the oven, add filling and bake the pie at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. That’s all there is to it and it’s so, so good.
There are many variations of the Key Lime pie recipe, but for me, I always come back to this Key Lime pie with a 3 ingredient filling recipe. Maybe because it reminds me of younger days or maybe because these ingredients are always in my kitchen.
But for whatever reason, it’s always a crowd-pleasing favorite that comes together easy and delicious every time!