You’ll love this creamy Panera Copycat Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup Recipe, that’s so easy to prepare and delicious, you won’t want to go out for soup any more.
Today I have a delicious Panera Copycat Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup Recipe to share with you all, made with basic, wholesome ingredients.
You see, one of my favorite things to do if I’m out shopping on a Saturday afternoon is go to Panera for a bowl of soup. And since the broccoli cheddar cheese soup there is so good, I had make a copycat of it at home.
I will say that when I go to Panera I can’t just get the Broccoli Cheddar Cheese soup. I hit up the bakery goods and order a panini. So, making this soup at home saves me a bit of money, as well as a few calories.
When I first started looking for a Panera copycat Broccoli Cheddar soup recipe online that tasted like Panera’s, I found that people add different thing to it, that I prefer to leave out of my recipe.
Minced garlic, nutmeg and celery are some of the things people add to this recipe, but I’ve chosen to leave them out, because I really just like the taste and texture of the broccoli and cheese.
This Panera Copycat Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup Recipe is rich, creamy and delicious – sure to be a favorite with everyone!
Of course what completes this Panera copycat Broccoli Cheddar soup recipe is a nice piece of crispy bread. French or ciabatta bread are really yummy with this, but if you don’t have fresh bread on hand, you can just add some croutons to the top of the soup.
I love having fresh, crispy bread in my house, so when I found Pepperidge Farm French Dinner Rolls, I was excited because you can keep them in the freezer and bake up just a few at a time.
Getting back to the recipe, when I make this broccoli cheddar cheese Soup, I cook it in a pot over the cooktop, but I think this would also work well in a slow cooker.
However, if you do want to try this Broccoli Cheddar soup recipe in a slow cooker, I would not add in the cheese until the very end, as cheese has a tendency to get clumpy if you overcook it.
Either way, here’s the recipe. ENJOY! And don’t forget to let me know how you like it.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ Yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ Cup of flour
- 2 Tablespoons of butter
- 2 Cups of milk
- 1 – 14 oz. can of chicken broth
- 1/4 cup of water
- ½ lb. bunch of fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 Cup carrots, chopped small
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream (optional)
- 8 Oz. Bag of shredded cheddar cheese
- Assorted seasonings - Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder
- Sauté onion in olive oil and set aside
- Combine flour with butter in stock pot and whisk together over low heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in milk, chicken broth and water, and stir until smooth.
- Add chopped broccoli, carrots and onions, and simmer over low heat for 35-45 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Optional - Remove 1 cup of the soup from pot, puree in blender and return to pot.
- Add in heavy cream and shredded cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
- Add seasonings to enhance flavor and serve.