Last week, I cooked up onion ring topped cheese steak sliders and just have to share this recipe with you all.
I was planning to cook dinner for my mom and sister, and was seriously in the mood for cheese steak sliders. It was a week night and I wanted to keep dinner simple. But I also wanted to give these cheese steak sliders a little Italian flair, so I changed them up a bit.
Instead of American cheese I used provolone cheese for a tangier flavor. Then I basted the slider buns with minced garlic, butter and olive oil, so they tasted more like Italian dinner rolls. Yummy!
And keeping with my Italian theme, I decided to share a few small bottles of Prosecco sparkling wine with our cheese steak sliders, which I’m pretty sure I drank most of. 🙂 I usually have Prosecco on hand to mix with cocktails, but ever since Easter, I’ve been enjoying Prosecco just on its own.
But, getting back to these cheese steak sliders. Along with the shaved steak, I cooked in one chipped white onion. Of course you could add in mushrooms, peppers or anything else you like or have on hand.
Topping these with beer battered onion rings really dresses the sliders up, especially if you want to make them for a party or picnic. Plus they taste even better, especially if you’re an onion lover like I am.
But the real reason I topped these with onion rings that night was because they cook right on top of the sliders, so there’s no extra pan to deal with and wash. YAY!
And while it’s totally up to you, I like to line my baking dish with foil and lightly grease it, just to make cleaning up easier.
Just look at those garlic basted, onion ring topped cheese steak sliders. Oh so good! You’ll want to share this Onion Ring Topped Cheese Steak Sliders Recipe with all your friends and family!
- 9-12 Slider buns
- 9-12 Beer-battered frozen onion rings (defrosted)
- 9-12 Provolone cheese slices
- 1 lb. Shaved steak meat
- 1 Chopped onion
- 2 Teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil (2 Tbsp for topping and 1 Tbsp to saute onion)
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper for taste
- A dab of oil (to grease baking dish)
- Add chopped onion and one tablespoon of olive oil to pan and saute.
- Once onions are cooked, mix in 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce.
- Add shaved steak to the pan, mix with onions and cook 3-4 minutes until browned.
- Once meat is browned, stir in another teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper for taste, then set steak mixture aside.
- Take 2 Tbsp of olive oil, butter and minced garlic and combine in a small bowl.
- Line pan with foil, lightly grease and place the bottom halves of the slider buns in the pan.
- Spread steak mixture over the rolls and then top with provolone cheese slices.
- Place a bun top over each slider.
- Using a baster brush, spread the minced garlic mixture over each slider.
- Place one frozen beer battered onion ring on top of each slider, then brush the onion rings with remainder of garlic mixture.
- Bake on the oven at 365 degrees until rolls start to brown and onion rings cook.
- Remove from oven and serve with a toothpick through each slider to hold the onion ring in place.
- This cheese steak slider recipe will make 12 sliders in a 9x13" pan. Or you can make 9 sliders in a 9x9" pan and save 3 rolls and some cooked steak for leftovers.
I have to admit, I honestly thought my mom was not going to eat these because she’s a finicky eater, with a very small appetite.
So it was awesome to see mom and my sister both devour a few of these cheese steak sliders and tell me these were the best ones I’ve ever made!
I will definitely be making this Onion Ring Topped Cheese Steak Sliders Recipe again very soon to share at my next gathering!
Tell me if you like cheese steak sliders and what you like to put in them. I would love to hear from you!